Use of the word "issue" as a euphemism for "problem"


I am submitting to a journal, and the guidelines require me to avoid use of the word "issue" as a euphemism for "problem". Thing is, as far as I know the two words are (or can be) synonyms:



problem 2a: an intricate unsettled question


issue 6b (1): a vital or unsettled matter (2): concern, problem



I have frequently been constructing sentences like "An outstanding issue is...," and now I am confused whether that is a valid use of "issue" (at least according to the journal), or whether I should be using "problem" instead.


Could you make clear when to use "issue", and when to use "problem"? Or is there a third word I could use to avoid the issue problem question entirely? (Oh, wait, I think I just answered that last question myself.)



Answer




"Could you make clear when to use "issue", and when to use "problem"?



The simplest answer is this: when the best word to use is issue, use it; when the best word to use is problem, use it.


I think (along with others in the above comments) context should guide you. Here are two examples, one "correct" and one "incorrect," of how the two words can be used.


Correct:



"An outstanding issue from my perspective concerns the frequency with which people generally use the word issue as a euphemism for the word problem."



Incorrect:



"In my opinion, people who insist on using the word issue when they should use the word problem have issues!"



In other words, there are times when issue is the right word and problem is not; and vice versa. I think the providers of the guidelines would recognize the differences between the two uses of the word issue.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"