Difference between "I've added" and "I added"


Could anybody describe me difference between I've added and I added?



Answer



The key to the difference is "that has present consequences". If you are regarding the event as complete in the past, use "I added"; if you are considering its present relevance (eg the state of whatever you have added to) use "I have added". Note that there may not be any difference in the event: you can describe the same event either way, but you are focussing on different aspects of it. Generally you cannot use the perfect with a explicit time, unless that time is a period which includes the present:



I saw him yesterday
I saw him today
*I have seen him yesterday
I have seen him today



(The * means unacceptable)


To me, the difference between I didn't see him today and I haven't seen him today is that the first implies that the possibility of seeing him is over (perhaps he was only here this morning) whereas the second doesn't. I believe that North American usage is not the same in this regard, though.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"