Is it correct to use "got" when expressing the simple past tense in British English?


I'm an American and my daughter is learning British English in school, so when I help her with her homework, I have to know the British rules.


She writes:



I have got a horse poster.



I understand that that is correct expression of the present tense in British English (even though I would write "I have a horse poster"). But now she wants to write in the past tense, so she writes:



For my birthday, I have got a horse poster.



I think this is incorrect even in British. I think she should write:



For my birthday, I got a horse poster.



But that sounds too American to me.


Which is the correct version?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"