nouns - Using “allium” as an adjective


I’d like to use the Latin word for garlic, allium, as an adjective, but can’t find any examples of this being done. Is there a rule for doing this with nouns ending in ‑um? Alliumnal sounds good, but I suspect that’s just because it sounds like autumnal. Any help much appreciated.



Answer



Alliaceous is used botanically for plants of the garlic/onion family; might it fit the bill? (It’s much more standard than allial, I think, going both by dictionaries and google.)


Now I want to go out and order something big and garlicky at a restaurant, just so I can smack my lips and say “Mmmmm! Alliaceo-licious!”. Or, not quite, because it would just confuse people. But I’m enjoying the idea…


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"