grammar - Are apostrophes actually needed?


I don't mean to make it grammatically correct I mean does English need them?


I can't seem to find a use case other than it's "legacy" in English, but that is never a reason to keep something around.


For example, would there ever be a confusion of "hell" and "he'll"? What about "theyll" or "they'll" or "he's" and "hes".


A friend brought up this use case:



Tim: "How do I get up there?"
Rodney: { "Well think." | "We'll think." }



Except that is even flawed because technically "well" in the first example needs a comma after like:



Rodney: { "Well, think." | "We'll think." }



This would clear this confusion up.


I saw killtheapostrophe.com years ago and it got me thinking and so I brought it up with my grandmother, who has a Ph. D. in linguistics, and she agrees with him, however it got brought up again on Twitter and I was curious what others who love linguistics think about it.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"