grammar - Does “on behalf of myself” make sense?


I often hear the following, particularly during announcements when travelling by rail or air:



On behalf of myself and the rest of the team, I would like to wish you a pleasant journey.



I've always wondered whether this is grammatical. I found this question, which discusses how to form such a sentence, but it still seems unusual to me even if it is correct. Something closer to the following would seem more rational:



On behalf of the whole team, I would like to wish you a pleasant journey.



This is because the whole team is not speaking. Contrast this to the first example in which the speaker claims to be speaking on behalf of himself.


Can either of these sentences be used to mean the same thing? Is one preferred over the other?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"