synonyms - Is there a word for temporary-but-may-become-permanent?


Is there a word in English for a solution that is temporary, but may become permanent if no better solution is found? I thought of "provisional" but if there is something better than that I would like to know.


The context is a position which I will take upon myself if I can, but I am asking for a "temporary" volunteer to replace me now and to stay the replacement if my situation means that I cannot take the position.


Thanks.



Answer



The postpositive adjective pro tem is sometimes used in this situation.



pro tem |ˈˈproʊ ˈtɛm| adverb & adjective


for the time being : [as adv. ] a printer that Marisa could use pro tem | [as adj. ] a pro tem committee | [as postpositive adj. ] the president pro tem of the Senate.


ORIGIN abbreviation of Latin pro tempore.



NOAD


As Robusto noted, this word does not necessarily imply that something or someone may become permanent, although my Shorter Oxford gives next as one definition of pro tem.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"