grammar - Omitting "is", like in "I think it strange"


What is the grammar behind the construction "I think it strange/necessary that ...", and when can and cannot this apparent omission of the copula be used? Do we always need the "that" clause?


Also, this seems to be only allowed when the object is a pronoun (it in the above example). That is, we don't say "I think this method strange", correct?



Answer



You might call it ellipsis, but I don't think this is the simplest analysis possible. I'd rather put to think in the category of verbs that can have an object complement, like find, consider, call, etc. The words it and strange are a red herring, non-essential.



Did she think his manners uncouth?


Do you find the house depressing?


I consider him a fool.


She called me silly.



These are all verbs that mean something like "assign label X to thing Y", but there are different verbs in this category too:



She painted the house black.


He wanted me dead.


They made me King.


I hereby pronounce you husband and wife.



In I think it strange that..., the pronoun it is used as a dummy object to refer forward to the that clause. Compare this to I don't like it that you have seduced my daughter, but so be it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"