grammaticality - Usage of "whose" not referring to a person





Referring to some attribute of an inanimate object — use “who's”?



I noticed the use of "whose" in the following sentence I wrote does not refer to a person:



A recent post on Less Wrong, Levels of Action, reminded me of a game I created whose dynamics I wanted to explore.



I use "whose" in this way fairly often. I'm just wondering, is it correct Standard English? If not, what would be a more correct way of expressing the same thing?



Answer



It is in American English - according to Mr Webster himself! enter image description here


A philosophical and practical grammar of the English language By Noah Webster


I suppose in BE the 'correct' form might be: "the dynamics of which I wanted to explore" - but that sounds like you you are trying to be German.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"