word usage - Do we ask for check or cheque in restaurants?


I know there is a related question asked here. But its slightly different than it and seeking more information.


I live in India, I have been to America couple of times. In my first trip it was surprising to see people asking for "check" instead of "bill". I have been told by my friend that here (in America) they call it "check". I assumed may be it arosed from "check-out".


After some days another friend told me that it's "cheque", not "check" and he elaborated that just like how a banker pays money in return of cheque.


After reading few answers/question and links given in the relative question, I really made a conclusion that which one is correct to use because I doubt only one has to be correct and remaining evolved by misinterpretation because "check" and "cheque" sound the same?



Answer



Cheque is the British spelling for the banking thing. It is not used in Britain or Australia for restaurants. There you would say "bill" or "account".


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"