grammaticality - How to use "text" as a verb



–verb (used without object) Digital Technology.
15. to send a text message: Texting while driving is an accident asking to happen.



Can I use:




  • I text to her but she didn't text me back.

  • I will text on your facebook later.



What about the simple past and past participle forms? Is it text, text, text?



Answer



As a new coinage it would take regular verb inflections: text, texts, texted, etc.


And as I hear it used, the "to" is unnecessary.



I texted her but she didn't text me back.



It feels like the verb form is going to parallel "call" in that respect: You wouldn't say "I called to her" if you meant you called on the phone.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"