idioms - Maxims that have to do with persistence?



I am looking for idiomatic expressions that convey the value of persistence, such as a long, drawn-out battle where the victor is necessarily the person who simply outlasted the other. I know there is at least one good one, but I can't think of any.


EDIT: Upon reading SethJeffrey's answer, I just realized I am actually looking for a maxim, not an idiom. I want something a little bit more substantial than an idiom. Here's an example I just made up: "It's not the obstacles on the roadway, it's the length of the track." This isn't very good...I'm looking for something like that, only a real maxim.



Answer



Rosalind Ferguson, The Facts on File Book of Proverbs (983) has several good suggestions along these lines:



It's dogged as does it.


Have at it, and have it.


Slow but sure wins the race.


The race is not to the swift nor the battle to the strong. [Ecclesiastes 9:11]


Feather by feather the goose is plucked.


Little strokes fell great oaks.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"