orthography - "Advise" vs. "advice"


In what contexts are those two words used?


It's been a while since I've read the grammar books and I don't exactly remember the definitions of a few terms like adjective, so I would really appreciate it if the answers didn't leave it off by saying x is verb and y is adjective - I learn more by practical examples.


Please do mention similar words as well.



Answer



Advise is a verb, so it is used to indicate an action. So for instance:



I advise you to do xyz.



Advice is a noun that derives from advise. So you would use it as the subject or the object of your sentence.




  • My advice is to do xyz.

  • The best advice I can give you is to do xyz.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"