Omission of definite article with musical instruments


What is the rule for omitting/including the definite article in the following sentences:



I used to play piano.
I used to play the piano.



I would pick the first sentence, but I've heard people say the second sentence even when they are not referring to a specific piano. Which one is correct?



Answer



They're pretty much equivalent.


That said, omitting the article has a slight feeling of playing with a group or orchestra, wherein the instrument is a synecdoche referring to the position the person occupied within the group.



I used to play the flute.
I used to play flute in the Civic Orchestra.



Omitting the article also can carry the feeling of playing an instrument in the general sense.



I play woodwinds.



In this case it would sound strange to use the article because you are speaking of a class of instruments.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"