american english - Is using the present perfect old fashioned?


I was talking to a Singaporean (English is her native language. I think, closer to American rather than British) friend.


I learned in English class that you can use present perfect when there is a connection with present. So the discussion was something like that. I was trying to use present perfect correctly.



A: Have you been to French class today?


B: Yes I have. I went this morning.



But she told me it's an old fashion way of using present perfect. And no one uses it like that, at least not in the US and Singapore. She would use past simple there.



A: Did You go to French class today?



Is it wrong to use the present perfect here or do I look stupid if I use it?



Answer



It wouldn't be wrong to say "Did you go to French Class today?", nor would it make you look stupid. Your friend is wrong though. There is nothing old-fashioned about using a perfect tense where a perfect tense is needed.


In your example, it would depend on the circumstances. "Did you go to French class today?" is seeking information and nothing more. "Have you been to French class today?" is important in the present - maybe you want to know what you have missed, or help with homework.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"