verbs - How to avoid ambiguity in "I am renting an apartment in New York"?


Does the sentence:



I am renting an apartment in New York.



imply that I am the landlord or the tenant?


How can I unequivocally communicate that I am the tenant (or the landlord)?



Answer



To "unequivocally communicate that I am the tenant (or the landlord)", among other things you could say one of the following.



• As tenant, I rent an apartment...
• As landlord, I rent an apartment...



As previously noted by choster, adding out to original sentence works for landlord sense:



I am renting out an apartment in New York.



You can state a not-landlord case, and perhaps imply tenancy, via



I pay for renting an apartment in New York.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"