slang - Why should I say 'One Hundred' when 'Hundred' seems enough?


I just want to know whether both the usages are right or not. Also, do these usages depend on geography?



Answer



It's a noun so it's necessary to specify the quantity. "One hundred" is the same as saying "a hundred," just like if you had six hundred it would be necessary to say "six hundred." The same rule applies to other nouns; you don't say "I have dollar" you say "I have one dollar" and you don't say "I have car" you say "I have a car." (or, of course, "I have six cars").


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"