grammar - Are there any other meanings for "belie??"



Sorry for my asking again in this short term, but somehow I ended up finding another one on SAO volume 6, followed by the volume 5 I brought up in the latest question. So I want you to help me get what I don't get again. Thanks.


There's a word "belie" which I figured only means "to turn your back on someone close" or "whether deliberately or not, to inform something incorrect." And here's a sentence this understanding doesn't seem to work on. But first of all I'd like to tell you what's going on there.


Oh, probably another little spoiler for SAO believers!:


Dyne, who does very good at this Bullet of Bullet, or some kind of gun-shooting championship where the participants fire at each other till everyone besides one the only winner goes down, is now on his stomach on the shore, after leaving forest and racing down the long bridge within a few seconds to throw himself into ambush for shooting his opponent, who's supposedly about to appear onto the bridge from the other side, untill he's content.


Now he's thinking he got his prey completely, but behind Dyne is hiding two players too.


The following sentences are one out of them's thoughts.



"Dyne was still down in firing position on this side of the long bridge. The way he held the SG 550 straight, without a single twitch, belied an impressive level of concentration..."



Before I talk about what's driving me nuts, I really want to know what you thought is the problem if there'd be any.


Okay. Now let me tell you for him what author, an original writer must've intended to say. What's written there in Japanese.


The way he held the SG 550 straight, without a single twitch----indeed, he seems to have an impressive level of concentration from here.


Yes, I could be misunderstanding the translated one, I admit it. If anything, I want to admit it. But I feel like something is strange about this. It's little...different from other translation fails. Because, you know, if my common sense's still working, it's supposed to be a total opposite translate, is it??


It was thus that, after a few attempts to grasp what on earth the translater meant to say, I was stuck. Have come up with nothing so far. It just doesn't make any sense to me yet.


Little longer than before, and to think that the last one is already too much longer...if it tired you out to read all of this, I'm sorry. Anyway if you could give me the answer to this, I'd very happy. Thanks.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"