synonyms - Another word for agnostic when used to suggest independence through a lack of concern


As described here, in technical domains agnostic can be used to describe a state of affairs where one thing doesn't care about the specifics of another thing it's related to. For instance, in software engineering, one might speaking of a "platform-agnostic" solution. This suggests that the solution need not have any information about the platform it is executing on to be a solution - it's a solution independent of the platform. In the same way you can talk about things being "OS-agnostic" or "language-agnostic".


I'm suffering tip of the tongue phenomenon. I think that there's another word that be used in these "X-agnostic" constructions that means specifically what agnostic is being used for here. When I try to sound it out, however, my brain keeps jumping back to "agnostic" or to "ambivalent", which is also not the word I'm thinking of.


I think the word I'm thinking of can also be used to describe the relationship between a theory and a question if the theory is non-dispositional with regard to the answer to the question. "My theory is X with regard to that question."


It's driving me crazy. What's the word I'm thinking of?



Answer



A term synonymous with platform-agnostic is platform-neutral.


Perhaps the word you're thinking of is neutral.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"