flapping - The pronunciation shift of T to D in the United States


I'm from the United States and I have recently discovered that I don't pronounce the T as a soft D as other Americans do. Neither do most of the people in my area or my parents. I pronounce the word "butter" like someone from most areas of Britain would, I don't pronounce it like "budder." Other than the pronunciation of this consonant, my pronunciation aligns with the main American pronunciation. I was wondering if there is some kind explanation as to why the pronunciation of the t hasn't shifted to a D in my area? I live in the Southern New Hampshire by the way.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"