suffixes - in-able ? un-able?


Suffix -able adds meaning "being able" to a word. I know that.


Prefix in- and un- mean "not" or some negative meaning. I know that.


However, when it comes to mixing of these, I am confused.



  • unbelievable

  • indispensable


In the dictionary I can find many words of these forms, let's call them in-able and un-able, whose composing rule seems just random to me.


When given a certain word body, how can I make an in-able or un-able word to mean "not being able"?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"