is it a word - Are "w/o", "w/", "b/c" common abbreviations in the US?


I remember when staying a few months in the US years ago that I saw some people using the abbreviations below. However, I can't exactly remember in which contexts I encountered them, (whether I saw my teachers using them when writing something on the board, in papers or in personal notes etc.)


So my question is: Are those abbreviations below commonly used and in which contexts is it okay to use them (e.g. formal texts, personal notes,... or better only used in personal note taking?)




  • w/o without

  • w/ with

  • b/c because



PS: Are there similar abbreviations that are commonly used?



Answer



Both "w/" and "w/o" were common, very informal, U.S. abbreviations in correspondence, and in tight spots on data tables, until recently. "C/o" has always been used in addressing letters to third parties: "John Jones, c/o Smith family..."


The other "slash/shilling mark" abbreviations were so uncommon that they usually were not used because of lack of clarity.


I personally use only "c/o", "w/" and "w/o" of all the abbreviations shown on this page. (Except for very limited use of the technical jargon abbreviations: I/O, A/C.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"