single word requests - Is there a hypernym for debit/credit?


I’m looking for a generic word that means “debit or credit”.


Say I have a transaction, and I don’t know whether it’s a debit on the account or a credit on the account, and I want to ask about it, is there a word I can use?


For example, if I were asking whether a book were green or blue, I would ask, “What’s its color?” If I ask whether a transaction was a debit or a credit, can I fill in the blank, “What’s its _?”


(Background: I’m looking to name a variable while programming, and the best I can come up with is type, which is not very descriptive).



Answer



I don't believe there's a single word that fits your request. In the ERP systems I've had access to, it's generally been referred to as Transaction Type (or Distribution Type, for AR and AP).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"