word choice - The correct usage of "too" and "also"


I always have problems in deciding whether to use "too" or "also". For example, if the previous sentence is:



Peter ate the cake.



Which of the following should I say?:



  • He ate the pie too.

  • He also ate the pie.


And what about?:



  • He drank the juice too.

  • He also drank the juice.


Another scenario:



Jack forgot his homework.



Which is the correct way to say "me too"?:



  • I forgot my homework too.

  • I, too, forgot my homework.

  • (I have a feeling that "I also forgot my homework." is simply wrong in this case)


I guess I can sum up my question as follows:



  1. If two sentences share the same subject, should I add "too" after the predicate or add "also" after the subject of the second sentence?

  2. If two sentences share the same predicate, should I add "too" after the predicate or after the subject (with the commas)?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"