word choice - "On the last week" or "In the last week"?


I'm planning a trip. My plane lands on the 29th of August. Should I say:



I'll arrive on the last week of August.



or



I'll arrive in the last week of August.



Web searches show that both prepositions are used; reading a reference website made me more inclined towards "in", though I am still not sure.



Answer



According to Google Ngram viewer, "in the last week of..." is much more common. This fits with my feeling as a native speaker, too: in or during for a range of time like a week, month, or season ("in the last week of August"); on for a specific day ("on August tenth"); at for a specific time ("at 4pm").


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"