word choice - Is using "have" better than using "got" in the following sentence?


Take a gander at the following two versions of the same sentence:



"I got an mp4 video file"



vs.



"I have an mp4 video file"



Someone 'corrected' me by changing the first form to the second form. Is there a difference, other than the fact that the former can also be used in past tense? Maybe it's too informal?



Answer



"Have" is correct and can be only one thing: I possess/hold/etc. the file.


"Got" can be two things:



  • I've got the file: has the same meaning as "I have the file", but is somewhat informal; if you leave out "have/'ve", it is very informal (in this case, "got" is the past participle of "get").

  • I received the file (in this case, it is the simple past of "I get").


My guess is that your corrector either found "got" confusing, or took it as "have" but considered that too informal.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"