expressions - "Without whom..." or "whom ... without"?



Is it more grammatically correct to move the preposition without to the end of its clause, or use without whom? Does the "in no particular order" change matters?



I wish to express my sincere gratitude to people without whom it would not be possible to complete the work, in no particular order.



vs.



I wish to express my sincere gratitude to people whom it would not be possible to complete the work without, in no particular order.




Answer



The first is far preferable to the second, in my view.


However I would still make some minor amendments to that in the interests of concision and clarity. This would be my suggested wording:


I wish to express my sincere gratitude to those people without whom it would not be possible to complete the work. In no particular order they are:...


Finally, I am slightly surprised that you are using the present conditional tense. Usually these sorts of things are said after the event. Hence I am wondering if would not be possible should read would not have been possible.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"