word choice - Is use of "Oriental" racism?



I've heard that the word Oriental, if used to people, is racism.


Is it true? And if it is, why?



Answer



Possibly because people are not carpets.


I have several oriental carpets given to me by Asian friends


Do note that in the UK, Asian are not Chinese or Japanese.


Also note that some Asians may call themselves oriental like African American may call themselves whatever they want.


Lastly, my Asian friends are just my friends, I luckily never need to specify their genetic makeup. If I have to, I say "from Pakistan" or "from India" or in other cases, "He's Chinese"


The only collective expression I use is Antipodean to not offend Kiwis and Aussies when I do not know from whence they come :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"