word usage - "the above" is correct, "the below" is not?


I have often read "None of the above" at the end of multiple-choice questions (and I guess this is shorthand for "None of the above items").


Recently, in answering a help center email with my answer on top of the help center’s suggestions, I wrote "none of the below helps me". It struck me as incorrect just after having send it. I guess I should have put "None of the items below".


But it seems to me it is a matter of usage rather than logic : if "the above" is OK, what’s wrong with "the below" ?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"