meaning - Is the expression "one's cup of tea" used in American English?


OK, the Free Dictionary defines this as



one's cup of tea: Something that is in accord with one's liking or taste. For example, Quiz shows are just my cup of tea, or Baseball is not her cup of tea.



This expression is very strange to me and I am not sure whether an American would understand me if I said it in the USA. Do Americans say this expression?



Answer



In its negative form the expression is very common in American English.


"Sorry, heroin isn't my cup of tea."


In the positive, less so. Americans might stop to think if you said, for example, "Romantic comedies are my cup of tea." I imagine the speaker might even be asked for clarification.


"Romantic comedies aren't my cup of tea," however, would be instantly understood.


Edit: I realized the other night that Americans also use this expression with conditional if-clauses.


"Yeah sure, dude, if it's your cup of tea then go for it."


This is similar to, "if that's your thing." The metaphorical aspect usually isn't continued or dwelled upon -- one wouldn't normally hear, "If that's your cup of tea, then drink it," except out of intentional silliness.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"