grammar - Can a declarative, independent clause be considered an introductory element?


Consider this question:



Are you going to the birthday party?



I know that the following response can be punctuated correctly in at least two ways:



"I hope so. I have already bought a present."



and



"I hope so; I have already bought a present."



But I'm not sure about punctuating it like this:



"I hope so, I have already bought a present."



Although I would be inclined to write the third version without thinking, on reflection it seems possibly/probably incorrect. The only way that I can see it being considered correct is if "I hope so" can be considered an introductory element. Is this acceptable?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"