grammaticality - Microsoft Word's "fragments"


Microsoft Word loves underlining things I am typing with a green squiggle.


One thing which I find rather annoying is its labelling of sentences as "fragments". Here are two which it catches:



Things of this sort.


Bad timing though.



I am rather puzzled where this strong objection to fragments arose from. They seem quite normal parts of English to me. What does anybody else think?


(PS I don't need answers telling me how to switch off the grammar checker etc, I can do that already).




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"