grammar - Use of ‘or’ when it means ‘and’ in negatives





How does negation affect the use and understanding of “or” and “and”



If I want to negate a sentence such as



I like beer and whiskey. [Most commonly understood as, I think, I like beer and I like whiskey.]



I have to convert the and to an or:



I don't like beer or whiskey.



There's no sense of an or in the second sentence, so its inclusion seems a bit perverse. I realise that I could say



I don't like beer and whiskey.



but that would mean something different:



I don't like (beer and whiskey).



rather than the intended



(I don't like beer) and (I don't like whiskey).



So my question is: what's going on here? Why do we have to make this change?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"