word choice - Difference in usage of "all right", "ok", "very well"


When I agree with doing something annoying or what I originally didn't want to do is there a difference between starting the reply with: "all right", "ok", "very well" or others?


Does "very well" sound posh or archaic? I hear it all the time when watching old episodes of Doctor Who (60's) but I don't recall hearing it in the wild in England.



Answer



I think of the three, "Very well" has the strongest connotation of giving in to a decision you disagree with. But I also never hear it spoken "in the wild," as you say; I would say that it is certainly formal, and I wouldn't expect to hear a young person say it. In that way, it seems archaic. It's much like "As you wish."


"OK" we use so often that it might not carry the meaning you intend. "All right" might convey that disagreement better, but I would also suggest using "Fine."


Of course, everything depends on context. If you've already expressed your disagreement with someone and later reply with a curt "All right" as your acquiescence, that person will undoubtedly get the message.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"