word choice - "So long as" vs. "as long as"


Which phrase is more formal — "so long as" or "as long as"?


Example:




  • So long as Google Voice allows free long distance in North America, I will use it.

  • As long as Google Voice allows free long distance in North America, I will use it.



I'm leaning toward 'as long as' but I have no justification.



Answer



I don't know that the distinction between these two is formality. I think that "so long as" indicates a logical predication, and "as long as" indicates a specific time interval. Take your two examples.



  • So long as Google Voice allows free long distance in North America, I will use it.


I think this could be paraphrased as



  • My use of Google Voice is conditional upon free long distance calls in North America.


Your second example was



  • As long as Google Voice allows free long distance in North America, I will use it.


This could be paraphrased as



  • For the duration of time that Google Voice allows free long distance in North America, I will be using it.


Thinking about it, I think that both "so long as" and "as long as" are used for the conditional reading, but only "as long as" can be used for the duration reading.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"