american english - "Mobile" vs. "cellphone" in AE


I already heard Americans use the term "mobile" for "cellphone" -- which I thought was chiefly BE -- and so I wish you could tell if such usage of "mobile" has any currency in GAE?


Unless it might be called a "mobile" by Americans outside of the US or frequently traveling to Europe.



Answer



In common AE conversation you would say "cellphone" or just "phone". Mobile or mobile phone is recognized and used in marketing.



Usage: "Where the hell did I leave my (cell) phone."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"