word choice - "I had no sooner returned than I turned on" vs. "I have no sooner returned than I turn on"


Context: As a teacher who loves writing, I am interested in posting messages on the twitter.


Which of the following options is correct? Please explain the reasoning.




  1. I am so interested in posting messages on the twitter that everyday I had no sooner returned home than I immediately turned on the computer to write something.

  2. I am so interested in posting messages on the twitter that everyday I have no sooner returned home than I immediately turn on the computer to write something.




Answer



The normal sequence of tenses would require the first sentence to be written as:



I was so interested in posting messages on Twitter that every day I had no sooner returned home than I immediately turned on the computer to write something.



The second sentence brings the events one stage forward in time, and uses the present perfect have . . . returned in place of the past perfect had . . . returned. What the present perfect does here is describe a present state resulting from an earlier event.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"