punctuation - Usage of a comma before "and" in a fairly complex sentence


How would I punctuate the following sentence:



Furious, John strove to catch Jim by the shirt so that he might throw him against the wall, but once more, Jim was too quick.



Where I'm getting stuck is on whether or not I need a comma before the "but once more" part of the sentence.


I have a similar issue on another sentence that is fairly complex:



When they broke apart, the old warrior bled from many wounds, and for the first time in decades, there was something close to worry in his eyes.



Here, my issue is whether I need a comma before "and for the first time in decades" or if I should leave it out.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"