syntactic analysis - I have no money to buy a bed [with]


BACKGROUND


In this question, it was asked why it sounds better to omit 'with' in



I have no money to buy a bed (with).



whereas 'with' sounds right in



I have no ball to play soccer with.



Indeed, the 'with' feels redundant at best in



I have no money to buy a bed with.



On the other hand, leaving out 'with' here would make it ungrammatical



I have no ball to play soccer. (??)



This is not limited to 'soccer'



I have no ball to play. (??)



Instead, it should be:



I have no ball to play with.



As one of the answers in the quoted question says, it may be okay to use 'with which' as in:



I have no money with which to buy a bed.



Given that the version without 'with which' sounds right, it might be argued that this version with 'with which' may be redundant and thus as unidiomatic as I have no money to buy a bed with. But native speakers seem to find the former grammatical.


Now, moving on to the finite relative clause, compare these:



(1) I have no money I can buy a bed. (??)


(2) I have no money I can buy a bed with.


(3) I have no money with which I can buy a bed.



Here, it seems clear to me that 'with' cannot be omitted, unlike the infinitive relative clause.


QUESTION


Therefore, I'd say that the idiomatic I have no money to buy a bed resisting with at the end is more of an exception in the sense that corresponding finite relative clauses do require 'with' either at the beginning or at the end of the clause, and that the corresponding infinitive clause with 'which' requires 'with'.


What do you think triggers this exception?


EDIT


It may be worthwhile to note that the version with "with" is not ungrammatical:



I have no money to buy a bed with.



Some native speakers might find this version more correct -- if not more common -- than the one lacking "with".



Answer



Here, grammar is not the main issue; It is what people will understand by your statement.



I have no reason to buy a bed.


I have no inclination to buy a bed.


I have no room to put a bed [in].


I have no money to buy a bed [with].


I know of no good shop to buy a bed [from].


I have no family to buy a bed [for].


I have no other furniture to put a bed [beside]. (this might be in response to a salesman saying "Here is a colourful bed which will add glamour to a bookshelf or a desk nearby")



Here, the first two statements do not require any word after "bed", while all the remaining can take a preposition.


These are all grammatically fine, but if contemporary folks can understand the statements without a preposition (the last word in square brackets) & if they think it is "pompous" to use that preposition, then drop it. If they do not understand the meaning or they feel that it sounds incomplete, then use the preposition. My choice is to use the preposition, atleast where the meaning changes without it.


Depending on whether the preposition is included or not, the two sentences (while being grammatically correct) will have two slightly different meanings, so most of my examples require the last word to completely convey the intended meaning. In the case of the fourth example, the preposition may be dropped, without much change in conveyed meaning, because money is usually used for buying things with. Hence, native speakers will have the tendency to drop it, I guess.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"