synonyms - What's a word for "a person who strives to be unique"?



English buddies! I've got presque vu today.


I'm looking for an adjective or noun that connotes:



  1. A risk-taking individual

  2. A unique individual

  3. An individual who isn't content with following in the footsteps of others.


I feel like a word for this does exist, but I can't think of it! (In other words, college application essays frustrate me.)


I'd be grateful for any help!


EDIT: Thank you all so much! I need it because my counselor wanted me to describe myself in 3 words...which is difficult. I appreciate all the words :)



Answer



The word iconoclast means someone who breaks (with) outmoded traditions. It doesn't specifically denote a risk-taker, but it does have those connotations. By its origins, it denotes a social reformer, but it's most often used now just to indicate someone who refuses to (as you indicated) follow in the footsteps of others.



Iconoclast: a person who criticizes or opposes beliefs and practices that are widely accepted.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/iconoclast



The word comes from those who literally broke "icons" or religious images, out of the belief that they were superstitious and/or idolatrous.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"