grammaticality - Using the expression "the same" for a previously mentioned item


I frequently use "the same" as in the following sentence.



I need the details of XYZ project. Could you please send me the same as soon as possible?



Is this grammatically correct? I have not been corrected till now, but I have not seen the usage from native speakers very much either.


Update:


Seems like my example sentence was ambiguous. Hope the following sentence is better.



I need the documents for the meeting. Could you please send me the same as soon as possible?




Answer



The first time I saw it was from an Indian colleague in 2009, and I've only ever seen it in emails or instant messages from Indian colleagues since.


An example:



The document is dated 25/06/08/ Is there any updation to the same?



Another:



could u tell me the command for executing the unit test from command line or any link or ppt .. for the same



As a British English speaker from the UK, I found it a bit strange at first, but I've got used to it now. However, I wouldn't advise using "the same" in this way as it might not be understood by people not familiar with it. Instead, when the context is clear, use a simple "it" or "them". If the context isn't clear, state explicitly what you mean.


So I would change your (updated) example:



I need the documents for the meeting. Could you please send me the same as soon as possible.



To:



I need the documents for the meeting. Please could you send them to me as soon as possible?



Also note the second sentence is a question, so ends with a question mark.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"