word choice - Correct use of "but", "however" and "although"


I am not sure which conjunction to use in the following context:




  1. I know about programming but I have a little bit of confusion in Java programming.

  2. I know about programming although I have a little bit of confusion in programming.

  3. I know about programming however I have a little bit of confusion in Java programming.




Answer



Your sentences #1 and #2 are both correct, so long as you add a comma after "programming":



I know about programming, [but/although] I have a little bit of confusion in Java programming.



In almost all situations but and although are synonyms. Although is slightly more formal, and is preferred if you want to stress that both halves of your statement may be true. But is used when you wish to stress contradiction between the halves of the statement. For example:



She said the book was blue, but I think that it's green. [Contradiction: prefer but.]


Usually we speak in English, although we sometimes use Russian. [Both halves are true: prefer although.]



Note that this is not a firm rule, since you could use either but or although in both of the sentences above without it being wrong.


However is a different matter. However is an adverb, and it's used to introduce a new sentence in circumstances where you would otherwise use but to join the sentences. So your example #3 should be:



I know about programming. However, I have a little bit of confusion in Java programming.



(Final note: "a little bit confusion" is grammatically incorrect. You need to add the word "of": a little bit of confusion.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"