expressions - I don't have a ___ in this ___ (saying)


Earlier this evening, I was trying to tell someone, "I don't care who wins the Superbowl this year. I don't have a-"


I could't remember how to complete this saying (to mean I don't have a personal interest in the outcome of a particular contest, debate, or game).



I don't have a stake in this game.



That's the closest I can come up with, but I seem to remember there's an animal-related version as well. Internet searches have not been helpful. "A pig at this market" maybe?



Answer



There are two similar phrases for this. One is "I don't have a horse in this race" and another is "I don't have a dog in this fight." Both mean basically what you said--that the person saying the phrase doesn't personally have anything at stake in a situation.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"