grammar - Is this proper English: "I am student"?



So, I have a debate with my associate. We are debating whether one can say something like "I am student." It was argued that this was proper and that indeed you can use a verb followed by a noun without an article or definite/ indefinite article. I had argued that we can say "we are students", but their thought was that you can even use a subjunctive or a present indicative then immediately follow it with a noun. Such as "We are student."


We are adapting a script to a dubbed movie and my job is to give advice on how a native speaker in America would express the idea. I wondered about this question for awhile because us natives can say "I am home. / We're home." but of course we don't mean that we are in fact a place where one lives! So I am curious about this question.


Furthermore, they pointed out some instances on the internet where people used this term and they have "Googled" many results. I was perplexed because I never say this nor have I heard others who live here say it. Can someone help articulate this problem for them? Is "I am student." proper English?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"