pronunciation - Many non-native speakers pronounce 'azure' like 'Asia' or like 'essure' when naming Microsoft's product Azure - wrong pronounciation or am I mistaken?



I live in Austria and I am a student in computer science and there is a specific thing that drives me bonkers:


Everytime when a person in my vicinity or I am coversing with is mentioning the procuct "Microsoft Azure", they pronounce the word Azure /ˈeɪʒə/ (like Asia) or /ˈeʃə/ (like pressure without the initial pr).


What is so odd is that not only users of this product or students pronounce it that way, but also representatives from MS who promote this product. So far the representatives I have met have all been non-native English speakers, though.


Sometimes I have corrected the person in such a conversation and telling them it is pronounced /ˈazjʊə/ (like sure with an a the beginning and replacing the s with a zh sound. It is pronounced that way on Leo.org, a commonly used online dictionary.


The primary proof I bring forward however in such a case is the song Rule, Britannia!, in which the word azure is pronounced /azjʊə/ like I mentioned.


My question is: Am I right that everyone who pronounces the name Azure like Asia or essure pronounces it incorrectly, or have I missed anything when learning the English language and I am just plain stupid? Or does the Microsoft product have a different pronunciation to the regular word azure?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"