technology - Collective term for data sizes (bytes, kilobytes, megabytes etc.)


As you will probably work out from my profile, I'm a software developer. This is sort of a software development question, but I think this is more suited to English language too.


Feel free to migrate if you think the question does not belong here.


Say I want to refer to the data size, or capacity of something:



  • A floppy disk can hold 1.44 megabytes of data.

  • My flash drive can hold 16 gigabytes of data.

  • My internet connection can operate at a maximum of 50 gigabits per second

  • I have just managed to compress a file from 1 megabyte to just 200 kilobytes.


How do I collectively refer to these units of data size/capacity?



Answer



The capacity of a floppy disk is 1.44 megabytes.


The capacity of my flash drive is 16 gigabytes.


The throughput capacity of my internet connection is 50 gigabits per second.


(I would not change your fourth sentence.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"