grammaticality - "Alternately" or "alternatively"


What is the difference between alternately and alternatively? I've seen both words being used, but which one is grammatically correct?



He could do X. Or alternately, he could do Y.
He could do X. Or alternatively, he could do Y.




Answer



Alternately means switching between two alternatives, alternatively means doing something different.



I love pizza and Mexican food, I eat them alternately.



Means Monday I ate pizza, Tuesday tacos, Wednesday pizza again, Thursday burrito, Friday went to the Hospital to get my arteries roto-rooted.



I love pizza but alternatively I eat Mexican.



Means both choices are good, but says nothing about when or the order in which I eat them.


Alternately is about switching. Alternatively is about enumerating options.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"