Is the infinitive form of the verb appropriate in this sentence?


I came across the following and would like to find out whether the bolded part is properly formed:



To be honest it sounds like she’s got the perfect relationship, in her eyes, going right now. So I don’t think you should be swayed when she desires keep having it.



Should it be "keep" or "to keep"?



Answer



Between these options, you should definitely choose the infinitive here:



To be honest it sounds like she’s got the perfect relationship, in her eyes, going right now. So I don’t think you should be swayed when she desires to keep having it.



However, the entire sentence could be improved (and I could do better if I had context):



To be honest, it sounds like she thinks she’s got the perfect relationship going right now. So I don’t think you should be surprised if she says she wants it to continue.



(I'm not sure if you wanted the word "swayed" in there; correct me if I'm wrong.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"