adjectives - A word that describes a process that can be both good and bad


I am searching for a word that can describe an object or process as having both bad and good elements.


I realize this is a repeat of this previous question, but I do not believe the suggestions answer my question;



  • Egregious, the proposed answer by the OP, is not a common enough word (anyone I have asked has had to look it up), nor does it mean precisely what I'm after,

  • Sick is a word that can be used in both good and bad contexts. It does not actually mean "both good and bad".


The context I am working is biological, specifically cognitive impairment (such as dementia). In a publication I am working on currently, I would like to describe the role of inflammation as having both good and bad roles (depending on the situation).


I can think of possible sayings that might apply, for example "swings and roundabouts" or "bitter-sweet", but again these do not seem formal enough.


Is there a word that fits the context? "Inflammation is a double-edged sword..." but more scientifically!



Answer



How about dualistic?


As in the Oxford Dictionary:



Theology .


a. the doctrine that there are two independent divine beings or eternal principles, one good and the other evil.



Seems appropriate to say that inflammation has a dualistic role.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"