passive voice - "hard to distinguish" or "hard to be distinguished"?


Here is a phrase (slightly modified from the original) that I'd like to discuss.



A) targeting small structures that are hard to distinguish



I have no doubt that this will convey what it means, but I think that the following is more "authentic" in terms of grammar:



B) targeting small structures that are hard to be distinguished



Would you agree or not? Can you explain why grammatically?


I tried to explain why I think B is better, but I'm not sure now.


I think the problem can be simplified to the difference between the following examples:



C) small structures are hard to distinguish


D) small structures are hard to be distinguished



It's about what is the subject for the verb "distinguish". Please help!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"